ADAPT is dedicated to empowering persons with alcohol, drug or gambling concerns, and their families, to manage these concerns and lead more fulfilling lives through the provision of comprehensive assessment and treatment services corresponding to need.
Who Are We?
ADAPT (Halton Alcohol Drug and Gambling Assessment Prevention and Treatment) was founded in 1975 as a pilot project of the Addiction Research Foundation. Based on the pilot’s successful outcome, ADAPT was incorporated as the first community addictions treatment agency in Ontario. Today, the ADAPT program has grown from a small, single site agency to one of the largest and most diversified treatment agencies in Ontario. ADAPT now offers a full spectrum of services to clients experiencing concerns with addictions, mental health or concurrent disorders, as well as to their families and loved ones.
What Do We Do?
The mission of ADAPT is to help those affected by alcohol, drugs and gambling, or persons at risk of being affected, in the least intrusive and most cost efficient way possible. ADAPT is dedicated to empowering persons with alcohol, drug and/or gambling concerns, and their families, to manage these concerns and to lead fulfilling lives through the provision of comprehensive assessment and treatment services, corresponding to need.
The ADAPT Philosophy
- We believe that Halton Region residents, who have concerns with their use of alcohol, drugs or gambling, should have access to comprehensive assessments and individualized treatment and education, within their own community.
- We believe in holistic treatment that provides support not only to the primary client, but also to family members and significant others who are experiencing the adverse effects of substance abuse and/or problem gambling by a loved one.
- We believe that each and every client of ADAPT is capable of positive and sustainable change, improving their quality of living, self-esteem, physical, mental and emotional health.
- We believe that people, who abuse substances or gamble excessively, should not be characterized or stigmatized by their problems. Instead, ADAPT focuses on strength based, solution focused approaches.
- We believe that all clients have the right to be treated with dignity and respect, in a non-judgemental and healthy environment.
ADAPT's Approach to Treatment
To summarize the President's and Executive Director's latest annual report, there are a number of consistent treatment selection factors throughout ADAPT's history, including, but not limited to, the following:
- high quality service,
- professional service standards,
- no service fees,
- holistic consumer-focused services geared to individual need,
- confidentiality, and
- recognition and acceptance of the diverse needs and experiences of people.
A Model for Recovery
There are a wide range of philosophies of addiction and models of recovery. At ADAPT, we view recovery is a process of regaining health, in the broadest sense of the term. It involves regaining physical, mental and emotional health, building self-esteem, enhancing or developing skills for healthy living and finding a meaningful place in the broader community. The ultimate goal of recovery is to live a healthily life, free of mood altering chemicals and/or problem gambling. The central beliefs that underpin this view of recovery are:
- People can and do regain their health.
- People can recover from substance abuse/problem gambling and learn new ways of living in the world.
Recovery is a learning process that involves, healing, personal growth, development, support and the acquisition of new skills